Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Chickens

Yesterday morning, I hopped on the computer and started trolling around Craigslist just to see what kind of "deals" I could find. Usually I go to the Free page first just to see if anyone is giving away anything useful, then I go to the Farm and Garden page most of the time looking for things related to poultry. Well, lo and behold, I get to the Farm and Garden page and what do I see - a listing for 11 Rhode Island Red hens for only $3 each. What a deal!!



Well, being quick at math it didn't take me long to figure that for less than a steak dinner at a fancy restaurant, I could have nearly a dozen bug chasing, egg layers. So I called the number in the ad. As I spoke with a lady on the phone, she told me why she had to sell the birds. Apparently, she has a new puppy that thinks chickens are sporty little chew toys pre-programmed to incite a pursuit, thus she was fearing for their lives.



I just happened to be headed to her neighborhood yesterday so it worked out perfectly. When I got there, however, we found that someone had miscounted and there weren't eleven but twelve birds. Luckily I had the extra three dollars in my pocket and was able to keep them all together.



Now they are getting adjusted to their new home. I think they will settle in just fine.



My total head-count now is thirty-seven:

- 18 Rhode Island Red: 17 hens, 1 rooster
- 6 Amaracauna: 5 hens, 1 rooster


 
- 5 Golden Comet hens
- 4 Barred Rock hens



 - 2 Black Australorp hens
- 1 Half-breed rooster
 


 - 1 Amaracauna/RIR mixed hen


0 comments:

Post a Comment